Wednesday, April 12, 2006

"...REACHING FOR THE SKY, JUST TO SURRENDER"

I've decided that I am going to give the poker a rest for a while.

There are several reasons for this decision, but the main one is that I just haven't been enjoying playing recently. Since I play games for enjoyment, that is a serious problem. I have found that my poker playing has been making me irritable, particularly, naturally enough, if I haven't been winning or playing well. Interestingly enough, Pete Birks had an article in his blog recently about similar issues, particularly related to playing higher than where someone felt comfortable. In my case it isn't the level, it's just my recent reactions to playing generally.

On the plus side, I have made the best part of 300 pounds which has proved to be just right for getting my wife the canteen of cutlery she was after!

It has been fun chatting to "Jeins", "the edge" and company. I'll keep checking your blogs to make sure your all progressing well.

The headline? It's from Leonard Cohen's first LP and the line goes; "I hate to see another tired man lay down his hand, like he was giving up the holy game of poker; I know that kind of man, it's hard to hold the hand of someone, who is reaching for the sky just to surrender". Seemed apposite somehow!

4 comments:

Maxwell Adams said...

That's very sad. But the game is tough, and I know how it feels to lose non stop.

Please let us all know when you return to the game.

_Kronsdat said...

Cheers Edge. I'm sure I'll be back, but this is definitely the right decision for now.

It wasn't losing really. Even on my recent downswing I didn't actually lose a lot - it was just the fact that poor sessions were affecting my mood generally and my family and friends commented on it. I put two and two together and realised what the cause was. Since I've stopped playing the problem has ceased - q.e.d.

I'll give it a rest for a month or two and then see if I can make a comeback.

Juice said...

Im impressed with your will power K. Poker is very addictive. When you see your game in terms of long term game it makes sense to keep sitting down and anteing up. Sadly poker can can an all consuming passion and it does has psychological impact! Well it does on me. whilst im sad you are going into retirement Im also quite glad. At least you will be doing somethign more productive with your time!

Good luck with your school and come back soon!

_Kronsdat said...

Thanks for the kind words J. I'm sure I will be back again, but it will be in a very controlled manner, probably in the summer. I was just playing too much and more than that, I wasn't enjoying it.

You are right, it is a very addictive game. It is important to keep it in perspective - bascially its a recreational activity. That being the case you need to make sure that a) you are enjoying it and b) it's not dominating your life.