Friday, April 23, 2010

The old and the new.

When I first played poker in the 1960's we basically played 5 card draw with some variations like "Southern Cross" (don't ask) and "Seven Card Stud" thrown in for interest. 3 card "Brag" was another popular game, which used to get quite ferocious with the "betting only finished when there were two players left" rule. I look back now and shudder. I didn't have the blindest notion what I was doing back then, but I think I can safely say that neither did anyone else in our group, since somehow I contrived to be a winning player!

When I started playing again some five years ago, after a lapse of, let's just say a few years, the game that was all the rage was of course Texas Hold'em - easy to learn and equally easy to lose money at. The big difference was that, thanks to the internet, there was no lack of instruction available on how to play effectively - the only real task was to sort the wheat from the chaff. Nothing stands still of course and now the "coming game" is "Pot Limit Omaha". This is a particularly evil variant, full of temptations, where very high hands can appear from all angles.

If the spirit of adventure is with you, you could do a lot worse than look here for some guidance on how to play Pot Limit Omaha. And if you want to take a trip down nostalgia boulevard, you could try here for instruction on how to play Seven Card Stud.

4 comments:

dD said...

poker in the 60's lol ya auld git .... oops, i remember 3 card brag, sigh

Anonymous said...

wasn't even a twinkle in my cheating bastard fathers eye back then Bri!!! lol

Shame you aren't making the Newcastle trip mate. I will nit up in your honour. ;o)

_Kronsdat said...

Have a good time at the weekend guys. Yes, it would be a good idea if one of youse nitted up for the tourney - my "lasts longest" title is officially up for grabs! :-)

dD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.