Sunday, August 25, 2013

GOOD CRAIC AT THE APAT HOME INTERNATIONALS.

Just back from playing in the APAT Home Internationals at Dusk to Dawn in Nottinghmam where I was captain of the Ireland A team. 

Before the event started I was talking to Ian Ski at the bar and he asked me what I thought of the Irish team.  I said they reminded me of Wellington's comment about his troops, "I don't know if they frighten the enemy but by God they frighten me!" 

The format was different from the last time I played in this (when we had a mixture of SnG's, Heads Up and then a final tournament, which was the most significant thing).  This time we had 3 No Limit Hold'em SNG's mixed in with 2 Pot Limit Omaha SNG's.  The top two teams played off Heads Up for the Gold and Silver medals and the 3rd and 4th for the Bronze. 

This revised format sounded good to me as I have heaps of SNG experience and so it proved.

Both Irish teams were in blazing form and we ended up comfortably in first and second positions.  We had already agreed to chop the prize money between the two teams if we achieved this and just played the Heads Up for the Gold and Silver medals which the "B" team won.  Star of the show was Kevin O'Hanlon who finished with the highest individual points total (I was fourth, four points behind him).  I had promised to play a jig on the whistle every time an Irish player won a table - I got lots of practice!  :-)  (There's a picture of me playing with Kevin on Facebook and the APAT site).

A great fun event played in a really good spirit by all of the competing teams. 

No comments: